In the News and on My Mind
In The News
and on my mind
Jan 3, 2008
Ryan Rancher's arrest - more details
UPDATE (1/30): Ryan Rancher, who has been incarcerated since 12/15/2007, bonded out of the Jefferson County jail today at 4:48 p.m. (CST).

UPDATE (1/29): Ryan Rancher appeared before the Honorable Eric Fancher, Sr. today. Rancher has a total of 3 cases. Bond was set on each of the three cases at $75,000, $75,000, and $60,000. His case has been bound over to the grand jury. It is not known when the grand jury will meet to determine whether or not the case goes before a higher court. As of the afternoon of the 29th, Rancher has not made bond and remains incarcerated in the Jefferson County Jail. Rancher was ordered not to have any contact with any of his victims and not to leave the county without first notifying the court. Read today's article by Birmingham News reporter, Robert Gordon here.

UPDATE (1/22): To victims: Only one victim was able to have a lien placed against Rancher's property prior to the auction. At this point, according to sources at the court, the only recourse for the rest of you is to file a civil claim if you have not already done so.

Rancher's criminal preliminary hearing will be held on January 29 at 2pm. This is only a preliminary hearing. The monetary issues will not be addressed in the setting of criminal court. It is possible that the judge could order restitution at Rancher's sentencing hearing. The sentencing hearing could be many months away. Even if restitution is ordered by the judge, please keep in mind that Rancher could receive a prison sentence. Of course, as long as he is incarcerated and unemployed, he cannot be made to pay any restitution. If I receive any additional information, I will pass it along to my readers.


UPDATE (1/19): Rancher's court date was pushed back to January 29 at 2pm. I am researching information on the auction of his home and will post my findings here.

Please see link for more information (Birmingham News 01/3/2008): Click here.

I am very interested in hearing your comments on this issue. Please feel free to post your comments. You may also subscribe to this blog in order to be alerted of future updates.

Additional comments:
I recently spoke to a former high school classmate of Ryan Rancher. This person stated that Ryan was a very bright student and an all around great guy. He stated that he is truly shocked that Ryan is accused of such deceitful criminal acts. Rancher earned a bachelor's degree (accounting) as well as an MBA from the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

Sounds like Rancher could have been a very successful person in life (legally). It is such a shame that his life is now ruined.

Being that he resorted to the same criminal acts when he was released on bond after the first arrest, I am very doubtful that he will be granted bond on 1/14. His home is also set to be auctioned on the same day. According to the Board of Equalization, he and his wife purchased their home at 8457 Carrington Lake Cove (Trussville) in January of 2006 for $626,545. The tax assessor's office shows an assessed value of $490,500. The person whom I spoke with at the Board of Equalization stated that it is normal for the assessed value to be about 20% lower than the actual market price. He was living a life of luxury, apparently at the expense of others (to some degree).

Rancher is married and has three children.

To view Rancher's Jefferson County Jail inmate roster listing (including booking photo): Click here.

Please check back for future updates on Rancher. If you have additional information on this case (or other interesting news) that you would like to share and see on my blog, please email me at daviskimdavis@yahoo.com. I am happy to research the info and add it to my blog.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:
Blogger Mephistopholis said...
At least he was caught.

I've dealt with some "brokers" who were little more than scam artists themselves.

Then, too, anybody who believes somebody is going to provide a 100% return is either extraordinarily naive or overdue for a life lesson.

(Interesting blog, btw...I'm a news junkie)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Thanks, J. I am also a news junkie. I wish I had more time to add content to my blog.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I know Ryan and his family - i am surprised and i hope the best for him. I do not know exactly what happened but this is not reflective of the person I know..